Misc Hockey News

River Hawks ice hockey go 1-2 in busy week

River Hawks ice hockey go 1-2 in busy week

(Photo courtesy of UMass Lowell Athletics) “Defenseman Brehdan Engum skates up the ice against conference rival UConn.”

Andrew Wilcox
Connector Editor

The no. 13 River Hawks came off a busy week in which they faced Hockey East rival Boston College Tuesday night on the road and then faced rival UConn at home Friday night and on the road Saturday afternoon.

After a dominant weekend which saw UMass Lowell sweep the University of Vermont without allowing a single goal scored against them, the River Hawks drove out to Boston on Tuesday looking to continue their winning streak and climb the Hockey East standings.

The game started off slow for UMass Lowell as Boston College scored both their goals in the first period, with Eagles’ forward Cutter Gauthier scoring the first goal of the night six minutes into action and then, towards the end of the first period, forward Connor Joyce would score once again for the Eagles and put Boston College up two goals.

The River Hawks would not stay quiet for long, however. One minute into the second period, forward Owen Cole would lay the puck into the net and get UMass Lowell on the board. 11 minutes after the first goal, forward Zach Kaiser would follow suit and tie up the game for UMass Lowell.

Despite the sudden momentum shift, neither team could rally together to gain the advantage, and the score remained tied for the rest of the second period. However, six minutes into the third period, Boston College would receive a power play opportunity and forward Oskar Jellvik would score the Eagles’ third goal of the night, putting them up with less than 14 minutes left in the game.

The River Hawks would be unable to score for the rest of regulation, and as time expired they would lose 3-2 and be handed their fourth loss of the season.

In spite of the loss, the River Hawks quickly returned home and prepared to host UConn who would be visiting the Tsongas Center just a few days later. UConn, ranked no. 8 nationally, had only lost one game to Boston University earlier in the season.

The River Hawks came out firing in the first period. Just 58 seconds into regulation, forward Jake Stella would score his third goal of the season and put the River Hawks on the board early.

The UConn Huskies would soon respond on their own, as 3:59 into the second period, forward Chase Bradley would score off an assist from forward Ryan Tverberg and tie the game for the Huskies 1-1.

However, just a few minutes later, the River Hawks would…

Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at "ice hockey" – Google News…