No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. RV St. Cloud State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 1 Ohio State women’s hockey team hosts No. RV Minnesota State for a pair of WCHA conference contests in Columbus this weekend on Jan. 27-28. Puck drop is set for 6 p.m. Friday and 3 p.m. Saturday from the OSU Ice Rink.
Both of this weekend’s games will be streamed on B1G+ (subscription required). Admission for Ohio State women’s hockey games is free. The program will host a postgame skate following Saturday’s game. Fans are invited to bring their own skates or rent a pair for free from the OSU Ice Rink.
Buckeyes in a Nutshell
- Ohio State wrapped up the regular season series against St. Cloud State last weekend, sweeping the Huskies in St. Cloud, Minn. Jenn Gardiner led the Buckeyes with four points on the weekend and scored the overtime game-winner in the second game of the series.
- Gardiner continues to lead the team with 40 points this season. She has recorded 14 goals and 26 assists. The Surrey, B.C. native is seventh in the country in points per game (1.54) and assists per game (1.00). She is just the sixth player nationally to hit 40 points this year.
- Sophie Jaques added her team-high 18th goal in last weekend’s series at St. Cloud. The defenseman ranks seventh nationally in goals per game (.69).
- Emma Maltais is tied with Gardiner for the team lead with 26 assists. She joins Gardiner in the top-10 nationally in assists per game (1.08) and leads the conference in the category.
- Paetyn Levis’ game-winning goal in game one of the last series was her eighth of the year, good for eighth nationally.
- Ohio State has seen play split between goaltenders Amanda Thiele and Raygan Kirk this season. Thiele owns an 11-1-1 record for the Buckeyes, while Kirk leads the goalie crew with a .919 save percentage and 1.83 goals against average in 10 games played. Thiele ranks fifth nationally, and first in the WCHA, in win percentage (.885) and Kirk follows in sixth in the country (.850).
- The Buckeyes rank top five nationally in multiple categories this season. Ohio State is first on the power play (.329) and second in goals (116), scoring offense (4.46), power play goals (25) and faceoff win percentage (.576). The team is third in assists (186), team points (302) and win percentage (.885) and fourth…