ORONO, Maine — The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team welcomes the American International College Yellowjackets for a single game. Game time for Saturday is scheduled for 2:05 pm.
Game #12: Maine Black Bears vs American International College Yellowjackets
DATE: Saturday, November 26, 2022
TIME: 2:05 p.m. ET
SITE: Alfond Arena — Orono, Maine
2022-23 RECORDS: Maine 2-8-1 (0-5-1 HE), AIC 7-6-3 (5-5-1 AHA)
About the Black Bears
• The Black Bears enter the 2022-23 season with 16 new faces on the roster after seeing 13 players graduate, transfer, or leave to pursue professional hockey.
• 12 letterwinners from the 2021-22 season return for this chapter of Maine hockey, which include the four newly minted captains. Jakub Sirota will sport the ‘C’, while Lynden Breen, Ben Poisson, and David Breazeale have each earned an ‘A’ on their sweater.
• 11 incoming freshmen and five transfers make up the players who were added by the coaching staff, whom are in their second full season behind the bench.
• Junior alternate captain Lynden Breen leads the Black Bears in points (seven) and goals (four). Senior alternate captain forward Ben Poisson holds the team lead in assists (six). Freshman defender Brandon Holt leads all newcomers in points (2 G, 3 A).
• Five different Black Bears have scored exactly two goals over the first nine games (Holt, Villeneuve-Houle, Hanson, Trudeau, and Renwick), while five different players have dished out three or more assists (Poisson, Breen, Holt, Freel, and Breazeale).
About the Yellowjackets
• AIC finished the 2021-22 season with a record of 22-13-1, ultimately falling in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Michigan, 5-3.
• The Yellowjackets return one of their top five scorers from 2021-22 in Blake Bennett.
• Jake Kucharski appeared in 22 games last season. The junior posted a 2.39 GAA and .910 save percentage, while winning 12 games and recording two shutouts for the Yellowjackets.
The Series with AIC
• The two schools have only met six times since 1979. The Black Bears have won all six of those match-ups.