UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The seventh-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions struck for a pair of powerplay goals to come-from-behind and defeat Alaska, 2-1, to complete the sweep in non-conference action on Wednesday evening inside Pegula Ice Arena.
Penn State improves to 13-3-0 on the year and a perfect 8-0-0 in non-conference play while Alaska drops to 5-7-2 overall with the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Nanooks opened the scoring as Anton Rubtsov was left uncovered at the near post and found space before slipping the puck past the right pad of Nittany Lion junior net-minder Liam Souliere (Brampton, Ontario) for the 1-0 edge at 12:41 of the first period.
- Penn State responded just four minutes later with a powerplay tally as sophomore Ryan Kirwan (DeWitt, N.Y.) fired a rebound into a yawning net for the 1-1 score at 16:41 of the opening stanza.
- After a scoreless second period, the Nittany Lions took their first lead of the game as sophomore Ben Schoen (Maumee, Ohio) jammed home a loose puck at the net mouth during the powerplay for the 2-1 advantage at 9:12 of the third period.
- Souliere runs his record to 11-3-0 on the year after stopping 33-of-34 shots while his counterpart, Matt Radomsky, drops to 5-7-2 after making 34 saves in the setback.
- Souliere becomes just the fourth different Nittany Lion net-minder to record double-digit wins in a season as he moves past Oskar Autio ’22 for the sixth-most victories in a single-season all-time with 11.
- Souliere’s 20 career victories also move him past Eamon McAdam for the fourth-most…