The International Ice Hockey Federation says it has launched an inquiry to “obtain additional information” about allegations of sexual assault involving Hockey Canada athletes.
In a statement sent to Sportsnet on Friday, the world’s governing body for the sport says “these are deeply troubling incidents that the IIHF takes extremely seriously.”
The IIHF says it learned about a settlement reached for an incident said to have taken place in June 2018 in London, Ont., this May — when the lawsuit became public. The alleged assault occurred in a hotel room after a Hockey Canada Foundation event.
Earlier this month, Hockey Canada revealed it had received information about sexual assault allegations involving the 2003 World Junior team in Halifax. Police in that city have reopened an investigation.
The IIHF says the inquiry also will look at how Hockey Canada has addressed the incidents.
“The IIHF will continue to monitor Hockey Canada’s actions, including the reopened investigations, to ensure that it is acting in accordance with the IIHF Abuse and Harassment Code. The IIHF will take all appropriate steps in line with the IIHF Abuse and Harassment Code when and if necessary,” the IIHF statement said.
Earlier this week, there were several calls for Hockey Canada leaders to resign at the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage in Ottawa.
The IIHF comes with Edmonton slated to host the World Junior Championship next month.